I have been in practice for almost 40 years. Of that period, I have enjoyed being a sole practitioner for the past twenty years. Before striking out on my own, I was a partner, practicing in the area of family law, at the law firms of Schiller DuCanto & Fleck and Beermann Swerdlove LLP..
The major part of my extensive career has been devoted to negotiating settlements, litigating cases at the trial level, and preparing prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements. I have had vast experience with business, real estate, and retirement plan valuations, as well as with tax matters. I have handled numerous custody and removal cases, including cases involving involving psychiatric and expert witness testimony.
My practice encompasses Cook County, Lake and DuPage counties.
I am a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and was an Adjunct Professor of Law at Chicago-Kent College of Law. I have instructed other attorneys in negotiation and mediation skills for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA).
I have been a frequent lecturer at seminars given by the Illinois Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, and other legal and civic organizations, as well as the author of numerous articles.
- “Confidentiality of Children’s Records”, Medical Educations Services, Inc.
- “A View from the Bench”, Annual Divorce Conference, Illinois CPA Society
- “Discovery and Finding Hidden Assets”, Fourth Annual Minority and Women’s Attorneys’ Conference sponsored by the ISBA
- National Business Institute program “Tax Aspects of Divorce in Illinois”
- “Valuing Closely Help Corporations”, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education program
- “Removal After Eckert”, Family Law Section Seminar at Illinois State Bar Association Annual Meeting
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Faculty Member for the Negotiation Program
- “Removal/Relocation Cases”, Illinois State Bar Association program “The Year of the Child: Focusing on the Tough Issues”
- “Hiring and Collaborating with a Business Valuation Expert”, ISBA Midyear Meeting
- “Hiring and Collaborating with a Business Valuation Expert”, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Illinois State Bar Association
- Financial Aspects of Divorce, Latin School, Chicago
- “Effective Cross-Examination of Expert Witnesses on Business Evaluations”, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education Seminar on Tackling Business Valuations in Divorce Cases
- “Updating Matrimonial Law”, Illinois Trial Lawyer’s Association Seminar
- “Winning Child Custody, Support and Maintenance Cases: Cross-Examination of an Expert Highlighting Issues of Privilege and Psychological Testing”, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- Judge for American Trial Lawyers’ Association, Student Trial Advocacy Competition, National Championship
- Moderator/Organizer, “What Every Practitioner Needs to Know About the Three Most Difficult Areas in Custody Litigation”, Chicago Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Program
- “Updating Matrimonial Law” Illinois Trial Lawyers’ Association Seminar
- “Effective Cross-Examination of an Expert Witness”, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education’s Seminar on Handling Business Interests in Divorce Proceedings
- “Effective Litigation Techniques and Strategies in a Matrimonial Case”, Continuing Legal Education Program of the Chicago Bar Association by the Association’s Matrimonial Law Committee
- “Taxation in the Area of Matrimonial Law”, Association of Trial Lawyers’ of America, Family Law Section
“Removal After Eckert”, Illinois State Bar Association, Family Law Section Counsel Newsletter, April 1992, Vol. 35, No. 7.
“The Effect of HIPAA on Discovery in Divorce Cases”, Illinois State Bar Association, Family Law Section Council Newsletter, July 2005, Vol. 49, No. 1.
Various handouts in connection with the lectures listed above.
I have professional and personal experience in adoption matters. I am a proud adoptive parent.
I was have served as a Board Member of many agencies which provide services to children, including being elected to the Chicago Council for the National Committee for the Prevention of Child Abuse.
A graduate of the University of Illinois and Loyola University School of Law, I obtained my early trial experience as an Assistant State’s Attorney of Cook County in the Felony Trial Division. I was a member of Loyola University Law Review from 1974-1975.
I was elected, by attorneys practicing in many varied areas, to serve two terms on the the Illinois State Bar Association Assembly. I was appointed to the ISBA Task Force on Specialization Certification, as well as to the Illinois Bar Associations’s Family Law Section Council.